More lady trouble for R. Kelly–but at least this case doesn’t involve a camcorder.
Kelly’s wife, Andrea, had obtained a restraining order against the R&B superstar earlier this month, claiming he slapped her. But on Monday, lawyers for both said Andrea Kelly has withdrawn the order in hopes the couple may reconcile.
Donald C. Schiller, a divorce attorney representing Andrea Kelly, 31, told the Chicago Sun-Times his client opted to dismiss the order of protection last Thursday "for the purpose of trying to work out their marital problems rather than proceeding in domestic violence court."
She sought the restraining order on Sept. 2, alleging the "Snake" singer physically abused her and verbally harassed her.
"I was fearful of him, and I want to get away safe and be happy," she wrote in court documents.
She went to court following an Aug. 24 incident. She said she showed her husband a photo she took with their three children at Parrot Jungle Island in Miami, and he "snapped over a man in the background." Two days later, she accused him of going ballistic again, this time when she made a remark over a man in a magazine ad.
For his part, R. Kelly says he believes his marriage can fly again.
"My wife and I had a heated argument, and we are now in the process of working it out," he said in a statement Monday. "We hope that the press and public will give us the time and privacy we need to resolve this very personal situation."
I like R. Kelly for his music, but this thing and child-pornography charges stemming from a widely circulated videotape is just way too much.